This Friday, April 22nd, marks the 46th observance of Earth Day. While it is vitally important to be mindful of our environment year-round, we love how Earth Day gives us extra reason to redirect our usually busy focus to Mother Earth and how we can better treat her.
While many communities and organizations may be putting on some sort of festivities or ceremonies in honor of Earth Day, most do not. So if you’re like us and want to celebrate our planet for all it deserves, here’s a list of ways to honor our planet this Friday (and every day!).
- Start composting.
- Plant a tree or a vegetable garden.
- Commute by foot or bike when you can (ie. if you live in a metro area). If not, carpool or take advantage of public transportation.
- Support your local farms.
- Shut off the lights when you leave the room.
- Limit your paper trail.
- Open the windows and turn off the air conditioning.
- Collect rainwater to water your plants.
- Take shorter showers.
- Turn off the television and go take a walk.
- Update your lightbulbs.
- Make a recycling plan.
- Use Earth-friendly cleaning products or make your own.
- Invest in a reusable coffee mug.
- Fix those leaky faucets.
- Give up bottled water.
- Organize a community clean-up or plant a community garden.
We challenge you to try to continue the Earth Day celebrations past this Friday! Transition one or two or more of these practices into everyday life. Go green in whatever little way you can. It can make a big difference, not to mention save you a couple of dollars, too!